Thursday, October 15, 2009

Running in circles.

(10/15/09)

Today has been a difficult day for progress. In the time that we are here in Uganda, Jimbo and I want to address a few different issues that are proving to be very tricky.

One: Garden = FOOD.
Most families in the refugee community can only afford one meal per day. However, with a school garden, children and teachers would be able to have at least one meal at school. This would be huge! Also, money from excess crops could help with administrative costs such as teaching materials, books, supplies, etc.
Full bellies means better productivity. People cannot work at their maximum potential without the basics of food and water.

Two: Water, Water, Water.
You wouldn't think that clean water is a luxury the way we use it in the United States, but here in Uganda water is definitely that: a luxury! Most toilets, showers, and/or irrigation systems all use safe, drinkable water in the U.S. It is hard to get my head around that concept.

Three: Loans.
Being a banker's daughter I feel like I should have some pull and know some tricks, but the customer service here is NOTHING, especially compared to First Southern National Bank. Man I wish you guys ran a bank here!
But I am getting it. Meeting face to face, tracking people down, and being on top of people/officials here is VERY important work!

Now, to the frustrating part...where are these people? Where are these organizations that have access to funds? How do you get in touch with the organizations? I have found tons of organizations that claim to help communities with gardening grants and water initiatives and loans, but either they have run out of money, don't assit refugees, or don't have any contact information for me. Or they do have contact info and they won't get back to me. I feel like I am running in circles. This is when knowing people is SO HELPFUL! You have to get real names and addresses and phone numbers so that you can schedule face time to PLEAD your case and advocate for this community! We are steadily working on this, and some days are more frustrating than others....today just happens to be one of those days. We will not give up though. Just one of the realities of working in Africa. Patience is KEY, and I am always working on my patience!




3 comments:

Janna said...

Hey guys:) Thanks for the updates. I just started reading a book that I think you would like: The Blue Sweater by Jacqueline Novogratz. Have you heard of it? The woman who wrote it started the Acumen Fund, a non-profit org. that raises charitable funds and then invests in small businesses in developing countries. Very interesting. If you give me an address, I'll mail you a copy. Maybe it will get there within the next few months??

Please keep the blog posts coming. I love hearing from y'all!

XOXO,
Janna

Unknown said...

Very interesting......also interesting that Janna is enjoying the book y'all gave me to read..I have it here with me in Highlands. The work you are doing is important, so keep plugging away.....love you both!! The DAWGS won yesterday.

Unknown said...

Mollie, I am so impressed with your tenacious spirit! When you get it all figured out you too could probably write a "how-to" book for others!