Saturday, October 10, 2009

Sharing Equally


(10/5)
*Mollie in front of the cooperative displaying one of the unique products of Kamba, the refugee cooperative. This bag is made of traditional bark cloth and cotton*
Today my good friends is another day to celebrate God's creation. I will try to look through eyes that see God's presence in everything today. If I don't remind myself, then I often forget to.

We went on an urgent mission yesterday to Kampala for fabrics and materials because the Kamba shop was invited to make a few sample items for a UNHCR forum for refugee initiatives. Mollie and I agreed to purchase the materials needed: linen, cotton, zippers, elastic, thread, and a coal iron. They worked very diligently late into the evening until the fading sun left us in total darkness. No electricity has its disadvantages, but then again work time was over.

Today there are a few finishing touches the members had to complete before our deadline of 12p.m. The UNHCR has a branch called InterAid that specifically helps refugees get access to financial services like loans. This forum will be an opportunity for the committee of InterAid to see Kamba's products and potentially give them the collateral they need to get a loan. This would be monumental for Kamba Cooperative. Yesterday evening I asked Jacques what his vision was for Kamba. He sees the potential for Kamba to be a busy textile shop displaying beautiful Kitenge fabrics to passing customers, A business hub for refugee women who move about the area selling Kamba's products door-to-door, but most importantly a center of commerce helping people lead productive lives.

All the members working last night were from the Democratic Republic of Congo. He helped me understand the dangers their lives were in, and the reality that comes with being a refugee: families separated, no work, lost from the comforts of their own things. Why would they chose to become refugees? He told me, "Not a day went by without hearing a bullet. Someone died everyday. This project gives them hope. When people are busy they can have hope." This is our mission here: to help people stay busy and in time build a sustainable solution to living a decent life with opportunity for the future.

What a privilege to be a part of this effort. It feels strange sometimes though like when they thank me for the money we've spent. I think I am supposed to feel righteous, or that perhaps that is what they think of me. But that is not the truth. We live in one world where we all have the chance to share with one another something of ourselves. We are equally giving and receiving, equal sharing. This is why we are here. Remember that.
-Jimbo

4 comments:

Sarah C. said...

Mollie & Jimbo-
Your dad shared this site with several of us at the bank and I'm so glad he did! Reading about your experiences in Uganda is very eye-opening and inspiring. You two are true humanitarians! Thank you for sharing your experiences. My prayers are with you.

Unknown said...

You two continue to amaze me. I can't even imagine what y'all have taken on. It is great reading your blog because I get a glimpse of what you see and feel. We love you and continue to pray for you and those you are working with.

Unknown said...

viessiYou two continue to amaze me. I can't even imagine what y'all have taken on. It is great reading your blog because I get a glimpse of what you see and feel. We love you and continue to pray for you and those you are working with.

Unknown said...

Love your new bag, Mollie....Jimbo, you are a great writer