Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Big is Big

Big Monday! Maybe because we made progress or maybe because I've finally shed at least a little bit of my fear and worry, my selfishness. The day began with calmness! The rain came in the morning and tapped on our metal roof to wake us up. There was no rush. Each drop said, relax. relax. When it was time to eat we ate, and when it was time to work we worked. When I'm selfishly living, I notice how unfriendly time can be, but yesterday time and I were buds. At Kamba, the co-ops' shop, we expected all 6 members to be there. We got 4, and that was okay. We could have waited but that would have been mean to my new buddy, Time. Progress? Really I mean we moved throughout the day accepting the way things were.


We began a pilot micro finance program where 2 members received 20,000 Ush ($10) to be repaid in 2 weeks without interest. I met joy in the process: the discussion, the questions, the willingness. My heart and mind were connected, and they created something brand new out of love for what can be. The second part of our day was spent researching how to acquire a bigger loan for Jacques and his cooperative. As we were on our way to church on Sunday, Mollie yells out, BRAC! She had seen a sign for BRAC's headquarters, which is a micro finance institution dedicated to eliminating poverty. What is so special about the sighting though is that finding anything in Kampala is like flipping the phone book open to the exact number you are looking for. Here there is no directory, no phone number, and no information, just luck. You can imagine our delight. To top off that pleasant suprise, when we went to speak with the loan officer, Rafiq, we were not immediately discouraged. So we will return for further inquiry next week.


I am going to keep a close eye on how I treat my new friend Time because yesterday felt really good.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi guys!!! I saw all your pictures and read your blogs, I think its an amazing thing you are doing. It's definitely inspiring. I admire you guys. It will be very rewarding when people come to you and smile and tell you how much you have done for them even if it really isnt much. Being able to make a difference in people's life brings the most joy and happiness. I would love to see you guys again!
Love,
Juli

Janna said...

Never thought about how difficult it would be to find someplace in a country with little/no infrastructure! Must be a "sign"!

jimbo said...

kids the video stuff is fantastic. when you get the time- your friend!- just walk around with the video camera and voice over narrate. look at anything and talk about it. nothing, absolutely nothing, is unworthy of your attention. dont be afraid to go in close.

it is beginning to seem very possible that you could raise a small relief from among your own friends and family. i know i'm in. the more you can personalize your experience- names and faces, specific needs- the more natural the giving becomes.

for instance, are propane and propane stoves available? how much are they and would they use them or sell them?

i guess the internet is too slow to skype. dying to skype with you.

kiss.

Anonymous said...

Mary sent me the blog info and I have really enjoyed catching up with you. It is an amazing season of your life. hat a privilege to be a part of helping those people for an extended period of time. A lot of what you talk aboout reminds me of Honduras. I went for a week in 2008 and am going back in Feb. I hated missing last year. I don't know what it would be like to stay a while but it was a blessing to help out for just a week.
I am thankful for you and what you are doing. Take care. I will enjoy keeping up.
Peggy Yarbrough